Sunday, January 13, 2008

Little Piggy Went To The Market

The Mouftar (sp?) market was amazing.

There was an accordion player, a (high school?) band, and even a little circle of people dancing to recorded music. The entire experience reminded me more of going to Harvard square on a Friday night (....I miss that...) than going to a food market in the US. The street was full of many different merchants selling various meats, fish, veggies, breads, everything! Most of it was raw (fresh), but some of it was prepared, so if I had not already made lunch plans I would have eaten there.

The market is only open on Sundays until 2pm, so I made a point of deciding to cook something for my host family today just so that I could go to the market today. I decided on Cannelloni with a ham and spinach stuffing. I saw it made in demonstration, but because we won't be making it in practical, I decided to try it myself at home. I bought all of the ingredients at the market (but, unfortunately many of them came from the supermarket that was also open....I could not find Ricotta or lasagna sheets (from which I made cannelloni shells) anywhere else!)

Since I had left my recipe binder in my locker at school, I took a few detours and made it a bit differently than how we did it in school, but it was still good - and my host family really liked it! My hope is that if I cook sometimes for them, I will be able to join them for their dinners when I don't feel like cooking. (I didn't have a practical in the past 2 days so I was ready to cook up a storm today) In addition, when we had dinner, we spoke almost exclusively in French...so it would give me an opportunity to practice my French. Yay!

<3 D

No comments: