Sunday, January 6, 2008

Apartment and Monmartre (hey its almost an anagram!)

After quite a battle with my computer, I finally got back online! (The reason why there was no post yesterday)

Yesterday we saw our two final apartments. The first was a homestay...and the second turned out to be a sublet of an entire apt! The second was probably the best we saw of any of them (and it was RIGHT next to Centre Pompidou!!!)...but I would be all alone there...so we decided not to do it. So...after much deliberation (or not) we chose the first place we saw yesterday and I moved in today.

Its a nice room in a really nice family. However, I don't think I will ever complain about bad mattresses (or pillows) again! Funny story:

We saw the apt. in the am and then after all of our apartment hunting, in the evening went to the Centre Pompidou (since it was so close to the second apt). While we were in line, we called this family and told them that we would take it. They were great about it and let me move in today - we agreed on 11am. Then today, when we arrive (late) at around 11:30 [tugging suitcases through metro turnstiles is no fun.] the woman suggests that we go upstairs to see the room now that she put sheets on the bed etc. We go upstairs...and the sheets...they look kind of wet in places...

...the dog, pissed off that the woman hadn't taken him for a walk that morning...pissed on the sheets. YUCK!!! The woman redid all the sheets and washed the pillow and the comforter so that when I came back in the evening everything was clean again.

So today, my last day with my mom, after we got settled in the room, we went to Montmartre. We had a really fun time going into all of the galleries and then after we heard the bells announcing Mass (in Sacre Coeur on top of Montmartre) so we went in. I'd never been to Mass before, but it was pretty interesting. More interesting though since I had fun trying to decipher what the priest was saying in French. The church architecture and organ music helped make it enjoyable too...but still couldn't sit through more than 15 minutes :) Alas. Thank goodness I'm not Christian.

Then I came back to the apartment, talked a little bit with the family and then to bed.
I have class tomorrow at 8:30 am (EEEK!!!) and I need some good sleep since I don't want to cut myself tomorrow in the practical!

-D

No comments: